By: Heather McCormick, MS, RDN, LD, CDE
March is designated as National Nutrition Month® by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This year’s theme is “Put Your Best Fork Forward,” which encourages people to make changes in eating habits – one bite at a time.
We know that most Americans do not eat enough fruits, vegetables, or whole grain foods, and they eat too many foods that are high in fat and added sugar. We also know that Americans typically eat too much food in one sitting. These eating patterns increase the risk for cardiovascular disease, weight gain, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
Your workplace is a great setting to encourage employees to make changes to improve their eating habits and their health. Below are some fun ideas on how you can celebrate National Nutrition Month® at your workplace and help employees put their best fork forward!
- Ask employees to share a photo of their fork with healthy food on it. Collect these photos and share on social media or on a bulletin board.
- Conduct a Healthy Cooking Demo.
- Organize a healthy recipe contest among employees. Have the judges be VIP’s from your workplace.
- Distribute coupons for discounts on a healthy meal featured in the cafeteria or vouchers for nutritious beverages or snacks.
- Provide a nutritious lunch while an expert presents a session on a health topic.
- Celebrate “Free Fruit Friday” and give away oranges or another fruit.
- Organize a healthy pot puck.
- Have a smoothie day and give out samples of a healthy smoothie.
- Share MyPlate Start with Small Changes handouts with employees.
- Incorporate a challenge encouraging employees to try a new healthy food.
If you would like help implementing any of these ideas, talk to one of our Strategists today.