The holidays are a time to celebrate life with family and friends and to reflect on what’s really important. Keep yourself and your loved ones healthy and safe this holiday season with these tips from one of our registered, licensed dietitian nutritionists.
- Wash hands often. Prevent the spread of germs by washing your hands with soap and clean running water for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage Stress. Give yourself a break if you feel stressed out, overwhelmed, and out of control. Some of the best ways to manage stress are to find support, connect socially, and get plenty of sleep.
- Travel Safely. Don’t drink and drive or let others drink and drive. Always wear a seatbelt and always buckle your child in the car using a child safety seat, booster seat or seat belt appropriate for his or her height, weight, and age.
- Practice fire safety. Most residential fires occur during the winter months. Don’t leave fireplaces, space heaters, food cooking on stoves, or candles unattended. Have an emergency plan and practice it regularly.
- Prepare food safely. Remember these simple steps: Wash hands and surfaces often, avoid cross-contamination, and cook foods to proper temperatures and refrigerate them promptly. Do not leave foods out for more than 2 hours.
- Eat healthy, stay active. Eat fruits and vegetables, which pack nutrients and help lower the risk for certain diseases. Limit your portion sizes and foods high in fat, salt, and sugar. Also, be active for at 150 minutes a week and help kids and teens be active for at least 1 hour a day.
At Alyfe Wellbeing Strategies, we want to take moment to wish you and yours, a Safe, Healthy & Happy Holiday season.